Next Steps Spring

Commit to Enroll at USC

Check out our Enrollment Checklist for a full list of next steps.

Intent to Enroll Deadline:

May 1: First-year students

June 1: Transfer students
(or within two weeks of receiving your admission letter)

Submit the Reply Form


Commitment Deposit Deadline:

August 1: First-year students

August 1: Transfer students
(or within two weeks of receiving your admission letter)

To accept our offer of admission and reserve your place in the incoming class, you must submit the Intent to Enroll form online in your applicant portal.

First-year students admitted to the spring term should submit their Intent to Enroll form by May 1 if they wish to be considered for the fall should any space become available. Even if you choose to submit your Intent to Enroll form by May 1, you may still wait until August 1 to submit your deposit—it is not required to be considered for movement to the fall term.

A deposit of $300, or a deposit waiver, is required by the deadline listed for your class. We cannot guarantee your space in the class if you submit your enrollment commitment deposit after the deadline. The deposit is nonrefundable and will be applied to your spring 2024 tuition and fees.

Deposit waiver: If financial hardship prevents you from submitting the deposit, you may select a waiver when submitting the online Reply form.

If you have questions, please contact your USC Admission Counselor. You may also call the Office of Admission at (213) 740-1111 or email us by visiting and clicking on the “Email Us” link at the top of the page.

New Transfer Admits
Visit our Transfer Admit FAQ page.

Not Enrolling at USC?
If you do not intend to enroll at USC, please let us know by visiting your applicant portal and declining your offer of admission on the Intent to Enroll form.

Complete Financial Aid Application

Financial Aid Application Deadline: ASAP

Visit our “Manage Your Finances” page and the Financial Aid website to learn more about completing your financial aid application and funding your USC education.

To view the status of your financial aid application, visit your Financial Aid Summary and Tasks (FAST) page.

Apply for Housing

Housing Application Open: June 30, 2023

The Living at USC booklet describes the variety of housing options available to you as an incoming USC student.

Visit the Housing website to submit your housing application online and participate in the optional roommate matching process. Students admitted to spring 2024 may apply beginning June 30, 2023. If you have additional questions, feel free to email for assistance.

Both first-year and transfer students may apply for USC housing. However, space is extremely limited, and spring admits are not guaranteed an assignment in USC housing. Therefore, we recommend spring admits explore other housing options as well.

Special Accommodations

If you have a disability and would like more information about academic and/or housing accommodations, please visit the Office of Student Accessibility Services.

Sign Up for Orientation

Orientation Sign-Up Deadline: beginning April 3

Welcome Trojans Orientation – Winter 2024

We encourage all new students to attend the Welcome Trojans orientation program. Welcome Trojans connects new students and their families to the campus community through an inclusive experience that enriches their transition into the university and the Trojan Family.

Orientation comprises two components: course registration and student engagement programs. All students will complete academic advising and course registration online. Student engagement programs will be available online or on campus throughout winter.

Invitations to Welcome Trojans orientation will be emailed beginning in April to all first-year and transfer students who have submitted their Admit Reply Form. Reservations are required and students will have the ability to include a guest in their reservation. For more information, please refer to the Orientation website.

Submit Academic Records

Academic Records Submission Deadline:

July 1: First-year students

ASAP: Transfer students

All newly admitted students should have their final high school and/or college transcripts and standardized exam scores sent to USC to ensure proper transfer credit for any college-level coursework completed. It will also allow your academic advisor to help plan your course of study at USC.

To see how your previous college coursework may transfer to USC, and to plan any upcoming coursework for the fall semester, we also encourage you view our Transfer Credit Resources page.



E-transcripts must be submitted by your school. Transcripts uploaded or sent by the student are not considered official.

First-year students: Send the Office of Admission a final, official transcript showing the date of high school graduation. A photocopy of your high school diploma is not sufficient. The deadline is July 1. We understand that some students attending schools outside of the U.S. may have difficulty meeting this deadline, so USC extends a grace period for the submission of final transcripts. However, students will not be permitted to continue their USC enrollment beyond the first semester if the requirement remains unsatisfied.

Transfer students: Send an official transcript showing final grades as soon as your current term is completed and grades become available.

If your school requires an email address for transcript submission, please use If your school does not support electronic submission of transcripts, please have your transcripts mailed to the Office of Undergraduate Admission in an official envelope from the school, with the seal and any other security features intact.


Transfer Credit Earned Prior to High School Graduation

Undergraduate students may receive a combined maximum of 32 elective units for AP/IB/A-Level examinations and/or select college courses taken before high school graduation. Standardized exam results should be submitted electronically to USC.

Restrictions apply, and not all courses will meet our criteria for credit.

Review the Exam Credit page on the Registrar’s website for more information.


Senior-Year and Final-Term Grades

Your admission to USC is conditional on your continued achievement at the same level of academic performance. The Office of Admission carefully reviews all final transcripts. If your senior-year or final-term grades decline, we will contact you. In the most serious cases, offers of admission will be rescinded. If you have questions or concerns you wish to bring to our attention, please contact the Office of Admission.


International Coursework

First-year students: First-year students must provide one official copy of all records, in their native language, of academic coursework. Records must be sent directly from the school and be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Transfer students: Transfer students who have completed coursework at institutions outside the U.S. should contact the International Education Research Foundation for a “Detail Report with Course Level Identification.” IERF will evaluate your documents and transmit a report directly to USC. USC will then complete a transfer credit evaluation.


Transfer Credit Reports (TCR)

After we receive your enrollment commitment deposit and complete, official transcripts of all your college or university work, as well as AP, IB or A-Level exam scores, USC will provide a Transfer Credit Report (TCR) summarizing the degree credit awarded for your transfer courses. This report will be essential for helping you and your academic advisor plan your coursework at USC.

Transfer Credit Reports will be available online at after your commitment deposit is received. Your TCR will be updated throughout the summer as official transcripts and exam scores are reported, and it will be finalized by the time you attend orientation.

Complete Health Requirements

For the health and safety of the campus community, all students must comply with certain vaccination requirements. Detailed requirements for new students can be found on the Student Health website by clicking on the “New Students” option.

Health Documentation

All documentation must include an official signature or stamp from the physician or clinic, as well as the student’s full name, 10-digit USC ID number and telephone number. Submit documented proof of immunizations by uploading them to your student health record.

Student Health Insurance

All USC students must have supplemental health insurance to help cover the cost of care not available at the student health centers, particularly in case of an emergency requiring hospitalization. Optional dental insurance is also available.

Email or visit USC Student Health for more information.

Student Health Fee

All students are required to pay the Student Health Fee, which covers most primary care services provided at the student health centers. This fee appears on your tuition bill and is included in your cost of attendance on your financial aid summary. Students can make an appointment at the health center by calling (213) 740-WELL(9355) or by accessing their student health portal.

Visit My Student Health Record Portal

Review International Student Requirements

USC students represent 135 countries around the world. International students make up nearly a quarter of our entire student population.



To be eligible to study at USC, international students need to have a valid non-immigrant visa status. The F-1 visa is the most common student visa and is issued to full-time students enrolled in an academic degree program at USC.

I-20 Form

To apply for the F-1 visa, students must first receive their USC I-20, a four-page form issued by the Office of Admission with a USC official’s signature on page 1.

I-20s are available to admitted students who have committed to enroll at USC and have submitted their commitment deposit.

To receive your I-20:

Log in to Trojan International and submit the “New F-1 Student Request” e-form located in the “Admission” section. New undergraduate students should request an Initial I-20.

Upload your financial documentation and a copy of your passport, even if you already submitted these during the admission process. You will need to upload new documents, as the Office of Admission will not be able to provide you with previously submitted copies.

Students currently attending a U.S. school on F-1 status:

Follow these instructions for transferring your SEVIS record to USC. Submit the “New F-1 Student Request” e-form in Trojan International and request a Transfer I-20.

More Information:

Guidelines for preparing documents: Trojan International Checklist
General information: Admission I-20 Processing page
Guidelines for acceptable financial documentation: Graduate Admission website


English Language Proficiency and Testing

Students who were asked to demonstrate English proficiency in the application review process and who did not submit a valid USC-approved English Language Proficiency exam are required to sit for the International Student Exam (ISE) through USC’s American Language Institute (ALI) later this summer.

Students who submit a valid, USC-approved English Language Proficiency exam do not need to sit for the ISE exam. Even if you applied test-optional, we strongly encourage you to submit one of USC’s approved exams – including the SAT or ACT – to waive this English placement test before orientation.



Transfer students who have completed coursework at institutions outside the U.S. need to contact the International Education Research Foundation (IERF) to have their coursework evaluated.

Plan Your Fall Semester

Your admission to USC is secure for the spring term, but what will you do in the fall? It’s up to you to decide how you’ll spend your time before enrolling at USC in January.

You could enroll in college—even study abroad—to stay on pace to finish your degree in four years. You could take time off to work, explore new cultures or participate in a service-learning opportunity to improve the lives of those in your community or around the world. We have created helpful information to guide you through your options.



Most spring admits will graduate with their peers who started in fall. One way you can ensure on-time graduation* is to take courses in the fall that will count toward USC degree requirements. We can help you select courses to make sure you stay on track. Choose a community college, or enroll as a non-degree-seeking student at a local university (look for visitor status, continuing education, or extension/professional studies programs). You might even explore study abroad opportunities such as those listed below.

*Please note that some majors require a certain number of semesters to be spent at USC, and therefore spring admits in those majors will graduate later than their fall-admitted classmates, regardless of coursework taken in the fall.

Before you enroll:
Familiarize yourself with USC’s General Education Program, found in the Spring Admit Course Planning Worksheet. This worksheet will help you determine how you may complete some of these requirements before enrolling at USC.

Also be sure to review the requirements for your intended USC degree. Pay close attention to lower-division courses you can complete during the fall. Check with the admission offices in the Dornsife College (science majors, take note) or Viterbi School of Engineering if you intend to pursue a course of study in these schools. Some schools, including study-abroad agreement schools, may not be a good fit for majors with lower-division science requirements.

Next, refer to the Student Development Programs page for spring admits. You can see if your courses have already been evaluated for transfer credit, request pre-approval for any courses we have not previously reviewed, or find out which standardized exams fulfill GE Core Literacies or major-related requirements.

Consider these enrollment options:

Community College
Most first-year spring admits choose to enroll in community college during the fall, close to their home. Community colleges encourage you to apply right away to allow ample time for placement testing and academic advisement. USC does not prefer one college over another, so choose a school that is convenient for you.

Study Abroad
USC has established agreements with these five American institutions in Europe. Each is U.S. accredited, and instruction is in English. Space may be limited, so apply soon. Each school has their own brief, fast-tracked application in the links provided below. Students will stay connected as a USC-bound cohort, so you will have an instant network of fellow Trojans upon returning to the U.S.

American University of Paris
Franklin University Switzerland
Richmond, The American International University in London
John Cabot University, Rome
Anglo-American University, Prague

Please do not hesitate to contact Student Development Programs at if you have any questions about one of our agreement institutions.

Four-Year Options
Do not enroll in a four-year college under the false pretense of finishing your degree there. Doing so may take up a valuable space for someone else. Enroll in a non-degree or continuing education program.

“I studied abroad at the American University of Paris, where I traveled to seven different countries that I had never been to before, and it ended up being the best experience of my entire life. Looking back, I wouldn't trade those four months for anything else.”

—Moera Ainai. Fall Semester at Richmond, the American International University in London

Gap Semester

Taking a break between high school and college is a common choice around the world, and it is becoming increasingly popular in the U.S. Although USC does not maintain formal partnerships with these programs, here is a sampling of some opportunities for travel, volunteering or exploring in the U.S. and abroad.

Please note: USC does not award college credit for gap programs. Any college credit offered by these programs cannot be applied to your USC degree requirements. Students should consider these options for cultural exploration and volunteer opportunities only.

Adventures Cross-Country
Make friends, develop leadership skills and spend a gap semester in Asia, Africa or Latin America.

World Endeavors
Choose from international internship, volunteer or study abroad programs around the world.

EF Gap Year
Prepare to thrive in an ever-changing world on an EF Gap program where you will have experiences such as service learning, language study, internships and leadership workshops in up to six countries per semester.

Pacific Discovery
Offered throughout Asia and Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand, and Central and South America, these programs emphasize leadership development, outdoor and wilderness education, volunteer and service-learning opportunities, and sustainability.

Art History Abroad
Explore the connections between art, music, literature, history and philosophy while traveling throughout Italy.

Carpe Diem Education
Carpe Diem provides three-month and yearlong gap programs focused on community, cultural immersion, service learning and adventure.

National Outdoor Leadership School
A leader in outdoor education, NOLS leads students on wilderness expeditions to teach them technical outdoor skills, leadership and environmental ethics.


Work and Internships

Many students also choose to gain valuable hands-on experience and professional skills through internships and paid work. Community colleges may allow you to complete an internship for academic credit. Check with their advising or career office for more information. You may also check with local employers for job opportunities.

“My admission counselor helped me identify classes at Santa Ana College, where I got 12 units and a great start on my college GPA. I also had time to volunteer at a nonprofit that helps unemployed women become job-ready. I got valuable business experience working in their store, and learned to use some new technology that has added to my technical skills.”

—Jennifer Leal. Santa Ana, CA. Fall Semester at Santa Ana College

Stay Connected

ZeeMee Group for Spring Admits
Visit your applicant portal for a link to the private group especially for spring admits. It’s a great way to “meet” other students before you even begin classes!