Admitted Students: Academic Policies

Deferral Policy

Undergraduate students may defer their studies for one year from the original semester of application. (Example: You originally applied for the fall 2018 semester, and you wish to have your admission deferred to the fall 2019 semester.) Longer gaps required for religious reasons, or for compulsory military service, will also be considered. Complete, sign and date the Admission Deferral Request Form and submit it to our office as soon as possible.

"Only at USC would you find such a caring and united community. USC does a phenomenal job of making students feel at home..."

— Jonathan Linares, Los Angeles, California

Exam Credit Policy

Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Levels (A-Levels) Credit Policy A maximum of 32 units is granted under the AP, IB or A-Level program, or in combination. Test results must be sent directly to USC from the testing agency. Once we receive them, they will be added to your Transfer Credit Report. Exams may earn credit and may satisfy some General Education, foreign language or degree requirements for an intended major. For more information, please visit the Undergraduate Transfer Credit Services office or refer to our Transfer Planning Worksheet.

College Courses Taken During High School USC accepts a maximum of 16 elective units, included in the 32-unit combined maximum for exam credits. These courses must be taught by college faculty on a college campus, appear on your transcript as part of the regular college curriculum and must not be applied to your high school diploma. They can fulfill General Education requirements, but they cannot fulfill the Writing or Foreign Language requirements nor receive equivalence to USC courses.

Switching Majors

The Office of Admission does not facilitate switching majors. A change of major is granted at the discretion of the academic departments, who set their own policies and procedures for doing so. An admitted student who wishes to change majors must contact both the current and intended academic departments to receive the appropriate permission and advising.

"USC has broadened my perspective by showing me that I don't have to wait till graduation to make an impact on the world."

—Shoko Furukawa, Tokyo, Japan

Withdraw your Application

If you do not intend to enroll at USC, please let us know by visiting your USC Applicant Portal and clicking on the link under “Withdraw Your Application.”